I have loved the different stages that we have been able to experience for our “first” Christmases.
Jeffrey and I had never been together on Christmas day until we were married. I kind of liked that, because it was really special for us to finally wake up together on Christmas morning once we had been married for a few months! We had a tiny little tree in our apartment, and he gave me a Chicago sweatshirt that I still love to wear since we had just moved from that beloved city!
For SA’s first Christmas she was only 7 weeks old, and we were just beginning to get into a routine and get settled. She slept while we opened presents, and even though she was a tiny little baby she got lots and lots of stuff! Jeffrey and I got her her swing to nap in, and it was her and Reece’s favorite places to sleep for a while! Last Christmas felt a lot like SA’s “first” Christmas, just because she actually knew more of what was going on. She loved looking at Baby Jesus, sitting by the Christmas tree, and opening all of her presents. She was a good walker by then, so she was all over the place. Even though she got a new farm and wagon, her favorite gifts were the Gerber fruit strips and snacks!
This year Reece being almost 9 months old was a very fun age for Christmas too! He is always on the go and into everything, but he is also so full of excitement and wonder! So, here are 10 things I want to remember about Reece’s first Christmas in 2010:
- He was the cutest little Santa Claus I have ever seen in his little Santa outfit!
- He took his picture with Santa. He wouldn’t smile because he has just woken up, but I’m just glad he didn’t cry!
- Reece loves to swing on the new swingset! He just grins and giggles the whole time. I have a feeling that gift will provides lots of fun for years to come!
- He managed to get a few ornaments off the tree every now and then, but no major damage! And I never really made a fuss about it, because he always looked so innocent and excited to be near the sparkling lights.
- It took a lot of work to get his foot painted four times and put on the piece of paper right next to SA’s, but the outcome was great, and everyone loves their Christmas crafts!
- He wasn’t really into opening the presents, but he got very excited when we should give them to him once we were done unwrapping it! He would flap his arms and give a huge smile, and he couldn’t wait for us to get them out of the boxes!
- Reece is 100% all boy–his favorite new toys are blocks, tools, balls and trucks!
- He had his first takes of banana pudding on Christmas day. I was sitting on the floor eating some, and I gave him a little taste…and then he kept coming back for more bites, over and over again!
- Reece got to experience his first snow the day after Christmas. Since it snowed back in February, I thought Reece would be much older before he saw snow, but I was wrong! He loved watching it fall to the ground in front of his face, and he even crawled through it!
- I loved being able to share with him the story of Jesus’ birth. We read the Christmas story and talked about Baby Jesus all throughout the season, and my prayer is that he will come to know Jesus and love him with all his heart, because that little boy of mine has a very sweet heart! And having a baby at Christmas is such a beautiful reminder of how great God’s plan was to bring our King to the world as a little baby boy!